"Levinson has used his camera as cameras often want to be used: as creators of dreamscapes, as traps for fugitive weathers and atmospheres we can hardly see, but only sense."
......John Bentley Mays, National Post
"Some of the best work I have seen in years.”
.....John Reeves RCA
.....The Distillery Historic District Blog
“The selected work… has the “Wow!” Factor”
.....The Jury, Northumberland Art Gallery Juried Show
“Steve’s exhibition is a must-see!”
.....Selena Forsyth, The Port Hope Evening Guide
Besides being a professional Fine Art Photographer, Dr. Steve Levinson is a physician, psychotherapist, medical business consultant, media personality, lecturer, educator, and professional facilitator.
Steve Levinson’s Exhibition at Joshua Creek Heritage Art Centre will be his seventh solo show, and will be followed by an eighth in June at the Engine Gallery in Port Hope. His most recent exhibit was in the summer of 2013 at the Art Gallery of Northumberland in Cobourg’s historic Victoria Hall, and his 2012 show, “Outer Beauty,” was a major 65-piece exhibit at the ARTA Gallery in Toronto’s prestigious Distillery District.
Steve Levinson originally took up photography in the 1970s, and won awards in his first two competitions. He later produced and exhibited a number of multi-media photographic presentations, but then put his camera aside in order to follow other artistic pursuits. In 2001, Steve returned actively to the art of photography. Since then his images have been on view at the Art Gallery of Ontario, the Gallery at First Canadian Place, Painted City Gallery, the Art Gallery of Northumberland, the ARTA Gallery, Roche Bobois Gallery, and the Left Bank, Michel Thomas, A.K. Collings and Engine Galleries in Port Hope, Ontario. His work is represented in over 200 private collections and has been selected for private and corporate clients by a number of prominent designers such as Brian Gluckstein, Roche-Bobois Paris Design, Greta Valen, Michael Doyle, Judith Copeland, Angela Amlani, Lili Krnic, Kari Andersen Art Consultants and Aurelie Collings.
Steve is a photographic purist. Aside from adjusting the natural color saturation and contrast of his images, his photographs are just as they were captured; the images have not been achieved through digital alterations. His photographs are spontaneous, candid, and painting-like, and have been called “atmospheric, romantic, and abstract.”
Steve Levinson has an eclectic background in the performing arts. A former professional jazz dancer and choreographer, Steve has also performed as a musician, actor, wine educator, lifestyle lecturer and magician.
For years, Steve was a fixture on Canadian television and radio both locally and nationally as a writer and host of medical and lifestyle features and as a regular commentator on a wide variety of shows, including CBC Newshour, CBC’s the Journal, CTV’s Canada AM, CBC Radio’s As It Happens, Radio Noon, Metro Morning and many others. He has taught at the primary, secondary and university levels, has been a newspaper and magazine columnist and has written and hosted a number of educational videos.
Currently, Steve is in private medicine and psychotherapy practice in Port Hope, Ontario, and, prior to that, co-founded the Rosedale Clinic on Yonge St. in Toronto and served as Medical Director of the Rosedale Wellness Centre on Bloor Street. At present he is the chairman of a Continuing Medical Education group in downtown Toronto and is developing a lifestyle workshop series with an accompanying book.
Steve lives just north of Port Hope, and, at last count, had two sons, one grandson, two Wheaten Terriers, and three cute but extremely neurotic cats, one of whom Steve is convinced must be an alien.
- Invited Guest Lecturer, the Oakville Camera Club, Oakville, Ontario, January 18, 2016
- Invited artist for solo show, Engine Art Gallery, Port Hope, Ontario, due in June 2016.
- Invited artist for solo show, Joshua Creek Heritage Art Centre Gallery, Oakville, Ontario, due in March 2016.
- Invited Guest Lecturer, the Trillium Camera Club, Burlington, Ontario, November, 2015
- Invited Guest Lecturer, the Grand River Imaging & Photographic Society, Kitchener, Ontario, May, 2015
- Gallery Artist, the “Engine Gallery” Port Hope, Ontario 2015
- Gallery Artist, Roche-Bobois Gallery Toronto, 2015
- Gallery Artist, the “Pop-Up Gallery” Toronto, Ontario 2014
- Contributing Artist, Gluckstein Design, Brian Gluckstein, Toronto, Ontario 2010-Present.
- “Off the Beaten Path” selected as a featured piece of art by Brian Gluckstein Design for the for the 2015 Princess Margaret Lotto Show Home
- “Fudge’s Mill” selected by Brian Gluckstein Design as a featured piece in the Living Room of the 4 million dollar 2014 Brian Gluckstein Princess Margaret Lotto Show Home
- Group Show, “Lookout Into My World” for Scotiabank Contact Photography Festival, May 2-18, 2014, ARTA Gallery, Distillery District, Toronto, Ontario
- Solo Show, “Recent Works,” Art Gallery of Northumberland, Victoria Hall, Cobourg, Ontario June 4-July 13, 2013
- Invited Guest Lecturer, “A Boy and his Camera,” Toronto Camera Club, November 2013
- Group Christmas Show, ARTA Gallery, Distillery District, Toronto, December 2012
- Solo Show, “Outer Beauty,” ARTA Gallery, Distillery District, Toronto Nov. 7-20, 2012
- Invited Guest Lecturer, Northumberland Camera Club, 2012
- Steve Levinson Photography (stevelevinsonphotography.com) Founder, President, CEO, Principal (and only) Photographer, Secretary, Treasurer and Chief Bottle Washer. 2003-present
- Professional Fine Art Photographer 2001-Present
- Cover Design “Potpourri,” a Collection of Short Stories and Memoirs by Denman Sinclair. Published August, 2010
- Group Show, Toronto Imageworks Art Gallery, Toronto… Invited to participate in Toronto Imageworks Premier Juried Clients’ Exhibit Feb. 12-March 6, 2009
- Solo Show “A Place Apart,” Nov. 6-Nov. 26, 2008, A.K. Collings Gallery, Port Hope
- Invited Guest Lecturer Aurelie Collings Gallery 2008,
- Contributing Artist, the Michael Thomas Gallery, Port Hope, Ontario 2008
- Gallery Artist, A.K. Collings Gallery, Port Hope 2008-2009
- Member, Arts Council of Northumberland 2008-present
- Member, Art Gallery of Northumberland 2002-Present
- Works selected for the Juried Art Show at Art Gallery of Northumberland, Victoria Hall, Cobourg, February 2005 and 2006
- Invited Artist, “Vernissage”, Artweave Studio, Toronto, June, 2005
- Solo Photography exhibition “First Impressions,” The Left Bank, Port Hope, Ontario, Spring, 2004.
- Solo Photography Show, “Slipstream,” Painted City Gallery, Toronto. June 12-July 13, 2003
- AGO…Art Gallery of Ontario… selected for the Rental gallery 2003-2006
- Represented in over 200 private and corporate collections
- Works chosen by a variety of designers including Brian Gluckstein Design, Roche-Bobois Paris Interior Design, Greta Valen, Michael Doyle, Judith Copeland, Angela Amlani, Lili Presti, Kari Andersen Art Consultants and Aurelie Collings.
- Group Show, Northumberland Art Gallery, Port Hope, Ontario. August-September, 2005.
- Group Show, “Creatures Great and Small,” Northumberland Art Gallery, Port Hope, Ontario. 2003
- Group Show, “Eye of the Beholder,” Northumberland Art Gallery, Port Hope, Ontario, Fall, 2002.
- Group Show, First Canadian Place Art Gallery, Toronto, Summer, 2001
- Group Show, College of Family Physicians of Ontario Conference Art Exhibit, 2002
- Debut Solo Photography Exhibit Painted City Gallery, Toronto. May 18- June 9, 2001
- Winner of Debut Photography Award, Horner National Competition, 1977
- Award, Toronto Sun Photography Competition 1976
- Creator of Multi-Media Slide Shows presented publicly to various professional and corporate organizations 1978-1990
- Lecturer in Photography, National Music Camp, 1978-85
- Director of Fine Arts Department and Specialized Fine Arts Program at Camp Wahanowin 1972,1974
- Director of Fine Arts Department , National Music Camp 1966-72
- Assistant Director of Fine Arts, Camp Wahanowin 1967